Do you ever look in the mirror and wonder…
“How the hell will I ever gonna lose all that weight?”
If you have been ever been there, then it’s totally okay… Weighing around 200lbs has got nothing to do with getting stressed or with getting depressed.
We all have been there… So, Even if you weigh over 200lbs right now,
I just want you to know that with the right strategy losing weight is an extremely doable task.
In fact in this post, I will be showing you the exact steps you need to follow to undergo a thorough transformation if you weigh over 200lbs.
So Lets Start!
We will divide all the steps into 4 categories:
Tell me if you ever have gone through this,
At one moment while scrolling the internet or via trying an old dress out, you get charged up and are all set to commit to losing weight at any cost.
You may think of joining a gym or following a certain diet, the very next day.
However, just after three-four days in you get exhausted both mentally and physically and let it all go and you go back to your older lifestyle. You again find yourself watching TV series while binge eating snacks.
SO why the heck does this happen?
- The only reason it happens is that human beings are habitual beings.
And it takes a lot of effort to break a habit.
The concept of playing guitar and playing a solo like Brain May may seem like a cool thing to do in your head. However the moment you buy a guitar and start getting lessons you will realize that it’s a process that’s extremely tough and needs hours of practice.
Your fingers will get hurt, the more you practice the more frustrated you become.
Same goes for losing weight too. The moment reality hits us we prefer to go back to our comfort zone.
- Deciding to start to lose weight, especially when you weigh 200lbs, is a decision that sure involves a lot of change of habits and mindset
So at the very start:
1. FIND YOUR WHY
If you wanted to lose about 10 pounds or so in a matter of weeks in order to get in shape then it would have been okay if you would have skipped this step.
But if you weigh around 200 pounds then it will be a process that will take some time before you get in your desired weight range.
Hence it is extremely important to find the MAIN PURPOSE behind your decision of losing weight
WHY DO YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT?
- Be completely honest yourself and find the burning real deep reason you wanna lose weight
- The deeper and stronger this why will be, the better results you will obtain in your journey
For example, I was someone who weighed about 187 pounds when I was in high school. And I gained this much of weight in a very short span of time.
Because of that, I got dropped off of my school sports team. So for me, my why was:
- To get fitter and get back into my team by any means
I took a piece of paper, wrote down my why and hung it up on my mirror:
This way I ensured that I would be looking at my mirror at least two times a day and hence I will also get reminded of my “why” every single day. ( Read about the exact blueprint I followed to lose 53 pounds)
So the question that sums everything up is:
How badly do you want it?
And this will what separates thousands of people out there who manages to lose 50/ 60 pounds and between others who end up giving up right after a week in.
You can do this too. Just be honest with you and go ahead and ask yourself:
- What are the things that you can do again if you lose 60 pounds?
- What are the problems you are facing right now because of your current weight?
2. Pace as per your need:
Many peeps suggest starting things slowly especially if you weigh around 200lbs.
Others suggest starting with a bang…go grab a gym membership today…visit a dietician tomorrow ….go on running outside once a day…cut back on all the yummy foods…so in all asks you to, change maybe 70% of your current lifestyle in a flash.
However, these approaches may work with some but not with everyone.
Cause we all are different. And it’s completely okay to be that way.
Hence whats works for someone else may not work for you.
What I suggest is to take a medium approach.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself however, don’t be too loose.
Because remember if you start slowly you will also see results slowly.
That’s something which can be a problem as seeing fast results can act as a boost which will guide you through the rest of your weight loss journey.
Taking the fast road can make you reach your destination faster however you will need to change your habits from tomorrow totally and carry on pursuing that process for days and weeks and months.
That’s is why the below tips I will mention is given in a medium-paced way which will help you to reach your destination at a pace which won’t be too much fast and won’t be too much slow either.
3. Change your mindset:
Bring the new you on the table.
If you have taken several tries to lose weight in the past and failed miserably to do so then you need to bring the new you and change your mindset before you again try for the next time.
Because no matter the process or strategy if you come into this with the same mindset with which you came before…you will fail again.
You need to change your mindset to see changes down below.
As AthleanX says…”Never make resolutions, try to make habits…cause resolutions do not last most of the times however…habits do last…”
So if you decide that you need to lose weight… it’s well and good.
However… If you previously tried and failed in losing weight then something has to change now than before to make this work…
So make sure that you won’t think of giving up the next time you will struggle in the process…
Make sure to train your mindset in a way that you won’t quit the next time you feel a little worn out…
Make sure you won’t feel demotivated and quit everything just because you could not remain loyal to your strict diet…
4. Start Drinking Green Tea at least 2 times a day
This probably will be the easiest thing you can do to start losing weight.
Using green tea to lose weight is a proven method of burning fat.
- Green Tea is jam-packed with antioxidants and stuff and is super beneficial to enhance your body metabolism.
- You will start to feel more energetic in a matter of a few days.
- Don’t consume green tea more than 4 times a day otherwise, it can cause sleeping issues
- Don’t drink green tea before going to sleep as it has caffeine
5. Drink Lemon water with honey:
This will do miracles. Trust me. It may taste bad but it will pay off.
This one is another of my favorite ways to start losing weight.
This has the following benefits:
- It will sort out your bowel movement
- It will help in boosting the digestion process
- Its an extensively good source of vitamin c and many other nutrients
- Drinking warm water with lemon and honey has been proven to help in losing weight
- Prepare a glass of warm water in the morning
- Add a teaspoon of organic honey into it
- Squeeze lemon juice into the mixture and stir it
- Drink it up
And you will be good to go.
6. Swap your Cooking oil:
As per the study conducted by the British Journal of Nutrition,
swapping an oil rich in saturated fat to an unsaturated fat can lead to weight loss without even reducing the oil usage.
No matter what category of oil you are using, a spoon of oil is densely packed with calories.
- There are no oils which will magically make you lose weight as oils are fat. However, there are some which will keep you healthy and loaded with good fats which are beneficial for the body.
So while trying to lose weight try not to have more than two tablespoons of oil. The lesser the amount the better.
Also instead of buying the refined oils go for the cold-pressed oils which are much more healthy and pure.
Include any one of these below oils for boosting your weight loss process:
- Olive Oil
- Canola Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Peanut Oil
It is said that one tablespoon of oil contains 120 calories. So use accordingly.
7. Add Herbs and Spices in cooking dishes:
Spices have a wide range of benefits and adding them to the diet will help you to
- Boost your metabolism
- Curb your appetite for long periods of time
Add some of the below spices in your diet :
- Cumin seeds
- Black Peeper
- Ginger or ginger powder
- Chili powder
8. Try swapping your cravings with healthy snacks…
Keep a bowl full of fruits and other side snacks:
- Apple slices
- Cucumber slices with hummus
- Cherry tomatoes with mozzarella
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Baby carrots with blue cheese
- Whey protein shake
- Pear slices with ricotta cheese
9. Eat more protein and fibers:
Cause its important that you hold onto the muscle mass while losing weight. Otherwise, with fat, you will end up losing sufficient muscle mass that can degrade the body posture. Hence focus on stuffing your diet with protein sources like:
- Egg Whites
- Chicken breast
10. Start dividing your meals from 3 times a day to 5 or 6 times a day…
I used to have six meals a day.
This was because I frequently had the urge of eating throughout the day.
To counter that I in place of having three to four big meals started having six meals dividing them calorie intake into various parts.
Divide your meals into smaller parts into various sessions.
11. Drink water for weight loss
Hydration is a key factor in losing weight, effective digestion, and muscle development.
- Water is a natural appetite suppressor.
Drink a glass of water the moment you feel the urge to grab a bite of some snack.
- Our body needs water to properly metabolize stored fats and the carbohydrates.
Hence drinking about 3 to 4 liters of water a day can trigger your fat burning process and help indirectly in losing weight.
- A hydrated body will help you to suffer less from fatigue and muscle cramp. This will be of extreme benefit for you while working out.
Always drink water, about 30 minutes before working out and after working out to counter dehydration.
So How Much Water should you drink?
As per NAM in the United States, the right measure is:
- 2,700 mL/day for adult women
- 3,700 mL/day for adult men
12. Cut down on sugar…
Letting go off sugar is probably the best health-related decision you will ever make. Your own body will thank you for it. However, its easier said than done.
- If you feel you can’t leave without it, use a little bit of organic honey instead of artificial sugars and slowly start to let it go.
You will be amazed how a sugarless diet can make you feel energetic in a matter of a few days
If you feel you can’t fully cut it off from your life then use it in as smaller concentrations as you can.
Read this post on, 6 Really Good Things That Happen to Your Body When You Quit Sugar, to know more about this topic.
13. Choose Your diet as per your need!
- Try to build a meaningful diet plan for yourself instead of choosing the latest trend…cause following a diet and losing weight is possible, however many people struggle to keep that weight off after losing the pounds.
So it is healthier to adopt a diet that is cut out for yourself, to which you will look forward to every day, would love to bide by and which will be good for your health.
There are sooooo many diets out there and it’s completely normal if you are too much confused with all of that…
However, from my experience and by watching others weight loss journey, I have found out that instead of committing to a diet blindly find out what will work out for you.
- I instead of following any strict diet just tweaked my diet and swapped some bad food choices with healthy ones.
- I got rid of my bad habits related to food consumption and introduced some basic healthy ones.
This worked out pretty well for me.
And the only reason it did because I changed it gradually as per my need. And I enjoyed having my meals and looked forwarded for them instead of getting bored with my diet the same old strict one. That’s the worst thing that can happen while following a diet…to get bored with it…
- If you are confused and don’t know which plan is good for you then don’t worry I have got your back… Follow the Weight Scraper Technique which is an 8 step process of Losing Weight without Exercising.
It will make you go through each of those 8 phases of using the diet for losing weight in a fruitful manner.
It’s like a diet blueprint which will work wonders for you especially if you are around 200lbs.
14. Start to take probiotics
Probiotics contain living organisms that will help in enhancing your inner body health i.e, which are beneficial for your health.
The imbalance of bacteria in your stomach is one of the major reasons behind many kinds of diseases.
Benefits of probiotics:
- would balance your beneficial gut microbial
- Help in better food digestion
- Will keep your heart healthy and can protect you from certain allergies
- They will boost your immune system and counter obesity
15. Take supplements:
Some your body lacks cerin essential nutrients owing to which it cannot function at its peak.
This is one of the common reasons why some of us hit a weight loss plateau and don’t see any steady loss of weight after losing a certain number of pounds at a go.
16. Always balance your meals:
Always balance out your meals. Never ever stuff your meal with excess carbs or proteins.
Mix them all in little amount for every meal.
- Fill about half of your plates with vegetables( Soups, stews, grilled, sauteed or raw). Make sure they have fewer calories and are fresh
- Read this article on daily protein intake
- If you eat anything around 1500 calories diet, have about 100 grams of good carb and 40 grams of fat every day
Determine your current activity level.
If you are someone who spends most of his or her time sitting and has almost no contact with a workout then start slow.
Follow Stage 1 with your diet plan and slowly go upgrading your game.
17. Start doing basic Yoga:
If right now, you don’t have any workout activity then its best to start off with basic 15-minute yoga to start your training regime.
The main purpose of this activity is to make your body flexible for the next levels.
Right now your body is in no condition to absorb the strain it will face if you start running for 30 minutes a day. The result will be that you will give up after going in for two or three days. So start slowly but smartly.
To know more about Yoga for flexibility, refer these:
- Lose weight 23% Faster with these 9 ancient Yoga Poses
- The Ultimate List of Yoga poses for superior flexibility
18. Start to go out for a walk
Going out for a walk is a simple yet elegant way to start your workout journey for losing weight.
It is a great aerobic exercise which is great for toning your lower body.
It is also immensely suited for burning calories at a steady rate.
Start to go out for long walks of about 20 minutes a day and slowly go on adding 3 minutes extra every day.
19. Join any Sport you loved:
Take things slow don’t overdo it…
- Table tennis
- Lawn tennis
P.S. Among all these I feel swimming is the best option. Underwater you won’t feel your weight and this will lead to greater calorie burning as you won’t feel stressed. It’s probably the best calorie-burning sport to join to for losing weight.
All the above-mentioned activities are fun yet good for a basic start in doing what you love and burning calories at the same time. However, the key is consistency and not to overdo anything in a particular time period.
20. Find your thing
Try to find the form of exercise that you are comfortable with. Choose any one of these and commit yourself in doing it for at least 5 days a week.
- Jumping ropes
- HIIT home workouts
You can mix some of these together to on alternate days.
The goal is to find the one workout that you are comfy with and can cling ono for longer period of time. However never try to exhaust yourself with any marathon of these activities.
Think of what will suit you more and with which you will be more comfortable in the long process.
- NO matter what happens remain committed to it…You can also join a gym at this point if you want but personally I don’t think to join a gym is essential to losing weight
It’s much comfier to burn calories at home.
However, this varies from people to people so do whatever you feel you are comfy with and will be able to stick around for a certain period of time…not just for two, three days…
21. Be Flexible:
We all are humans. Hence it’s normal for us to make mistakes.
So even if someday, you miss a workout session or you eat out at your friend’s party, don’t be hard on yourself. Adjust as per need.
- If you feel guilty then instead of feeling like throwing away months of your efforts, Go and work extra hard the next day.
If you feel like all this is too much, take things slow for a bit, take a day off to thank your efforts.
The main goal is to follow a healthy lifestyle and also enjoy life at the same time.
22. Learn to say NO:
Learning to say NO is a huge deal.
In plain sight it may seem simple but trust me, it is something in which many of us struggle in.
Sometimes we agree to just nag along or do things in accordance with other”s wishes because to go with the flow or to keep someone”s wish.
You need to get out of this “little talked” about, habit that gets unnoticed many times.
- Learn to say no to that slice of pizza…
- Learn to say no to that creamy slice of cake….no matter how yummy it looks you it will harm you down the road…..
- It’s not about just a piece, it’s about the temperament…
The moment you will refuse a yummy snack, that very moment you will feel proud upon yourself for doing that…and that feeling is addicting trust me and it lasts longer than the taste of the food item.
23. Pack Your Own Lunch:
If you go to work then instead of having lunch at the food court bring your own lunch.
You will have total control over its quality and ingredients. And it will be more healthy.
Yes, it will take some time to pack it. However, in the long term, it’s worth it.
- If you run short on time, try preparing hem he night before and putting them in the refrigerator. Or you can try making quick salad preparations or carry whole fruit items along with you.
24. Chew your food thoroughly before gulping:
Chewing your food thoroughly can lead o better digestion.
So take the time to eat your meal. Chew about 15 to 20 times before swallowing each gulp.
Yes, this may seem like a long process if you eat meals like a flash but you see better improvements indigestion in a matter of days if you follow this process. This, in turn, will help you with weight loss.
25. Move whenever you can:
Find scopes of basic workouts in our daily life. Take the stairs instead of taking the lift
- Instead of taking your car for short distance, walk.
- Take your dog or cat out for a walk.
Always instead of being lazy, make your body move.
Your body had been made for moving. Give it what it needs to thrive. Look for smaller opportunities. This may seem like not much but in the long run, these habits will reap off some proper fruits.
26. Never go to a party in Starving mode:
Cause you will feel like eating everything in front of you.
Even though you have strong self-control it can be quite easy to see your self-control get smashed in a single moment of weakness. So make sure to never hit a party on empty stomach.
27. Build your own support system:
You cant pull this off alone. I mean you can but having a support base helps.
Join forums with weight loss …
Do a simple search on google to find hundreds of classy forums. Join them.( Use the year if you please)
Align with like-minded people. Join the conversation.
Take inputs on the useful Infos.
Trust me these communities are the sole pillars of your support system and will help you a lot to remain motivated and focused towards your goals.
- Join Facebook Weight loss/fitness groups…
- Like fitness pages on Instagram and Facebook…
All these will be helpful in keeping you more focused and inspired.
Watch more Fitness and inspirational videos on youtube to keep you focused…
Watch goal smashing motivational videos if you feel those things can boost your mindset.
It did for me and for millions of others.
Cause no matter how iron clawed your mindset is sometimes we can find it hard to keep it together. These videos will help you to remain focused on not only your health goals but on your other life goals too.
Find a Partner to Join You
It can be any friend or anyone you met online…nothing helps more than finding someone with the same goals. This will create a healthy competition which will help you to remain intensely inspired in your end goal.
Ask Your friends and family to support you on this:
Trust me everything will be a lot easier if you get their support.
In the end, we are the summation of the five people we are closest with part from our family.
Losing weight is not too hard yet it’s not easy either. Especially if you are a 200-pound woman or a man, it will take some time.
So always look out for making friends with like-minded people who will support you.
They will be your support system. Tell them at the start that they need to help you motivate you in times you will feel tired and want to let it all go.
Tell them not to tease you to go out every night or for a party. Make them be a part of your journey.
28. Always look at labels:
This is probably the best habit you can undertake while trying to be healthy. Most of the food items you and I buy from the supermarket is stuffed with preservatives, unhealthy fats, and impropers resources. So apart from the expiry date always lookout for the following items:
- Artificial sweeteners
- Trans fat
- Sodium nitrites
- Any form of sugar( maple syrup, maltodextrin, fruit juice concentrate)
- Saturated fatty acid
29. Read at least one Health magazine every week:
It’s always great to remain up to date with the latest trends and news of the fitness industry. Always be on the lookout of some new useful info and see that if you can apply that to your life.
Here is a comprehensive list of the Top Health and Fitness magazines.
30. Start to go to sleep early:
Cause it’s healthy.
The late you remain awake the more you will have the urge to snack at night.
This is probably the worst way to let unnecessary calories get inside. Hit the bed early to counter this.
31. Ask for options in the restaurant
Always ask the waiter for better healthy options before ordering a dish.
Never shy away from these.
Ask them what food items are less oily or are completely grilled and fully healthy.
Shying away will only compromise your health.
While hitting a cocktail party, go and ask the bartender to serve a diet coke or diet ginger ale in a scotch or wine glass with lime. This will help you to not explain things continuously that why you are not drinking and will also make you feel at ease.
However, always try to avoid these go at these places at the initial stages cause you will be more tempted to slide off the track.
Focus on being consistent and think ONE DAY at a time.
- The key is to be consistent and let time take care of everything
These laid out simple yet actionable strategies will bring you some awesome results, in a very limited period of time.
However, know that weight loss takes time and it is a game of patience.
Use this post to chart out your own weight loss strategy as per your own need.
- Losing weight when you weigh 200lbs is not rocket science. Know that if thousands of others can do it…You can do it too.
Just be honest with yourself and be strategic in your approach, that”s all.
If you like this post then tell me,
What kind of problems have you faced while trying to lose weight previously?
Let me know about any queries you have regarding this post by commenting down below…
is a fitness enthusiast Blogger who helps the Weight Loss aspirants and motivates them to follow a healthier lifestyle by guiding them to develop the confidence and habits they need to make to have a positive impact on their life. Subscribe to the newsletter and follow him on Pinterest to never miss a new update regarding any of his new posts.